Monday 8 September 2008

My Top Ten Inspector Morse Stories - No 3 Service of All the Dead

Another one bites the dust - Plus another and another would it ever stop?
SERVICE OF ALL THE DEAD… (First screened on UK TV 20th January 1987, writer Julian Mitchell.) This is a very funny story and again John pulls it off.

Here Morse the poor thing is suffering from vertigo (I know the feeling) and yet still has to go up that 'bloody' church tower much more than he (or I) would like him too.
The dialogue between Peter (Woodthorpe) and John is timeless, as Morse and Max talking about more grave space needed is so funny. John's fainting spell is a classic.

2 comments:

Lollipop said...

We're very simpatico on our favorite Morse picks.

Service to All the Dead is a special favorite. It marks the time in 1987 when it was shown here in the States, and I fell in love with John Thaw.

Theresa said...

Yes another of my favourites! Love your caption as always - but mine would be Lewis saying - "Tsk Tsk I wish Morse and his girlfriend would stay off the plonk!"

That's a good idea Lollipop-maybe we could all say which was THE episode that made us finally 'fall in love' with John. Mine was 'Death of the Self' - you may guess the scene that clinched it for me. It was a scene with Morse and Nicole - and yes well let's just say 'clinched'it is very appropriate! Also the opera music and the beautiful Italian setting helped my heart to melt! What chance did a girl stand?! Theresa