Saturday 1 November 2008

My Top Ten The Sweeney Stories - No 10 I Want The Man

Well it looks like The Sweeney is what you have all voted to see, so here goes.
Hijack!
I Want The Man… (First screened on UK TV on 10th November 1975, writer Ray Jenkins.) Maynard a retired boxer is planning to do a job, using money from a jewellery hest to finance it, passed from villain Frankie Little to Maynard’s girlfriend in a restaurant. Regan is tipped off by Popeye, his informant, but when he gets there she has done a runner with the jewellery and Popeye has been abducted by Maynard’s men.

My ultimate favourite scene in this story is from the photo, where the squad are trying to guess what the villain’s plans are, Haskins says ‘Hijack’, to which Regan replies ‘Hello Guv’, with a straight face, wonderful!!


Another scene that gets to me is a tenderer but a horrible one for Regan because of his job, and that’s having to search underneath the baby and you can tell he hates himself for having to do it, but it’s his job.

3 comments:

Lollipop said...

Hey Janet,

Good choice with a super performance by Ray Kinnear. I love the scene where Ray's daugther brings the baby with her to see John. The way John strokes the baby is so sweet. I like it when Reagn is shown with a sensitive side.

Always a pleasure to watch John as that of "bit o'rough" sexy
Jack Regan.

With so many superb episodes it's difficult to narrow it down to just ten. Will be fun to see how your list compares to mine.

Lollipop

Theresa said...

HI - yes I watched this again on your recommendation. Love it - and yes 'Hi Jack'was a good line!

Yes I was also taken by the seen of Jack gingerly feeling under the baby's mattress. And the way the baby just gazed up at him. (I know how he feels! - Only I wouldn't have started crying!)
Also Lollipop I too like seeing the softer side of Jack. He's not all rough and tumble as some Sweeney fans would have us believe. I like Jack because he is a more rounded character.
Ta Janet!
Theresa

Theresa said...

Also...the baby-in-the-cot scene got me thinking, if only that person who was a baby then, could remember that moment - as he sure got a good look at John! Lucky Duck!

That sure would be something to tell his kids and grandkids. Guess he'd be in his 30s now.
Theresa