Saturday 8 November 2008

My Top Ten The Sweeney Stories - No 6 Messenger of the Gods


Ooops, what have you done?

Messenger of the Gods… (First screened on UK TV on 7th September 1978, writer Trevor Preston.) A huge consignment of mercury has been stolen and Regan and Carter believe 'Lukey Carter' was part of the gang. But Lukey has an alibi - on the night in question he was with a lady and it wasn't his wife-to-be.

This stars the lovely Diana Dors, and she steals this story from John and rightly so, I wouldn’t cross her, ha-ha!!

The scene where Regan helps carry her and puts her on the sofa and she’s sat on the cake, and gets up and slaps him, is so funny, but I bet that hurt, ouch!! Then poor Regan getting an ear full in the station from her, and doing a runner at the end from her with Carter when they see her coming to the station.
Sorry for delay in posting but kitty is rather a handful, and i'm getting seriously scratched and bitten, think i'll need new skin and blood transfusion by the time he's one, ha-ha!! Will try and post when i can, though also in a lot of pain with my leg too, never rains but pours oh well never mind, take care everyone.

4 comments:

Lollipop said...

Another corker. They must have had a ball making this one. I fall on the floor laughing every time I watch it. When John drops Diana on the wedding cake and she bops him, it is a scream.
John is so menacing when he pins the poor kid in the hallway and puts the scare in him. Great stuff.

Lollipop said...

PS Sounds like Bluey has alot of Jack Regan in him, cute as can be, but an ornery handful.

Theresa said...

'Cor Blimey another one! Where's the Alker Seltzer?'says Jack!

Janet - you sure have a way of picking THE best shots!
Theresa

Theresa said...

Yes another funny Sweeney Janet. Great stuff and good for a laugh - tho Jack has his tough 'I mean' it scenes in every episode too.

I always laugh especially at the scene of Diana giving Jack a slap across the chops! And the look on Jack's face! I think it was the shock of being hit by a woman as much as the sting of it. And boy it would have stung coming from a 'healthy' lass like Dianna!

Forgive me but I haven't recently rewatched this episode, tho I want now - but is the episode where Jack gives a guy named 'Charlie' a threatening and scary lecture on what life is like in prison?

"You don't know wha' it's like Charlie." it starts.

A CLASSIC soliloqy and piece of dialogue! And delivered with just the right amount of menace and terror by Jack. Must check who wrote the script for this. This scene almost Shakespearean - in my 'umble opinion anyway!

Should be compulsory viewing for every juvenile delinquent I think!

First heard the speech on the Sweeney 'Shut-It' CD and it sends shivers down my spine every time!
Theresa