Monday 3 November 2008

My Top Ten The Sweeney Stories - No 8 Sweeney 2


I wouldn’t doze off if I were you!

Sweeney 2… (First released in UK cinemas 14th May 1977, writer Troy Kennedy Martin.) As his final instruction before being arrested and sent down for corruption, Chief Inspector Jupp (Denholm Elliott) tells Reagan to nail the gang responsible for some particularly violent bank robberies, one of whom uses a gold-plated sawn-off shotgun.

My two favourite ways of seeing John are in blue and wearing a leather jacket, and I get both in this film, ain’t I lucky!!

Also love the final scene where Regan and Carter are having a good time in the pub and Regan’s girlfriend arrives, and he’s so happy, great! It’s a real good feel type film this, especially the ending, as it was time for John to move onto other things and leave Regan behind.

4 comments:

Lollipop said...

My first thought on this one is that John is so handsome I can hardly concentrate on anything else. His dance at the end is a
real "ladies night" treat.

Love the key in the trousers bit too. Some gals have all the kuck.

Theresa said...

Yesss...we all know what happens next don't we? Lucky girl!

Good pick Janet. This is also one of my very favourite Sweeney's. I like it much better than the other 'Sweeney' film movie.

When I was studying part-time at Uni a few years ago and working full time - life was a bit hectic. But whenever I finished an assignment or came home after a bout of exams - I'd be so relieved, I'd often put this on to celebrate - and jump and dance with John at the end throwing my fists in the air! GREAT THERAPY! Dancing on the Devil - I called it!
Yes the study did send me a teensy bit mad - as you'll have worked out. Now you know all!
Theresa

Theresa said...

Oh and I also was very moved by the scene of Regan washing off the blood in the Gents after he burst into the room where the guy shot himself and his wife and splattered blood all over Jack.

Poor Jack - you could see the profound emotional shock he'd suffered, but being a bit of a macho type that didn't cry on people's shoulders, his feelings were frustrated and he just pounded them out on the taps in the sink - going a bit didlo. Poor guy. I really felt for him. Then he pulled himself together when George came in. I thought that was a VERY effective piece of acting.

Thought it was funny seeing George - and Jack in particular traipsing across the hot Spanish plain to interview the crims. Not very salubrious. Neither were JAck's attempts to chat up the airline hostess!
OH!! And we CAN'T forget Denham Elliot! One of Britains GREATEST modern supporting actors. What a loss it is to British film that he is gone. A GREAT actor and he always seemed such a sweet chap too. His characters were always likeable too, even when they were dodgy, like in the Sweeney.
Theresa
Australia

Lollipop said...

Theresa, you're writng of the great Denholm Elliott reminded me of something I heard an actor (can't remember who) say in an interview, "Never work with children, dogs, or Denholm Elliott." Nice compliment, well deserved.

Lollipop