Wednesday 1 October 2008

My Top Ten Kavanagh QC Stories: No 10 Bearing Witness

Hello Everyone
Hope you all enjoyed seeing my top ten Morse stories last month and enjoyed watching them yourselves, so I decided to carry on and this month after the voting is my top ten Kavanagh QC stories. Like last month they will be counted down over the next ten days, feel free to join in watching them, and also let me know what you think of my choices or views on the episodes.
Bearing Witness… (First screened in the UK television on 7th April 1998, writer Edward Canfor-Dumas.) Kavanagh represents a Jehovah's Witness mother when a hospital wants her 13-year-old son to have a blood transfusion that will save his life.

When the mother refuses, Luke is made a ward of court and the hospital seeks judicial permission to go ahead with the transfusion. The hospital wins its action, and Luke is given a transfusion. Escaping from hospital with the help of his mother, Luke dies shortly afterward.

Then his father, prompted by a national newspaper, brings an action for manslaughter against his estranged wife, Kavanagh is called as a reluctant witness.
This is a very difficult story to pull off, and show you aren't with or against what Jehovah's people believe in, but in the hands of the cast and crew of Kavanagh there is no need to worry, this was done with both tenderness and compassion, a very good story.
The young actor who plays Luke (Joe Roberts) was very good, as was the entire cast, John sure had talent around him when he performed and that made whatever he did worth watching, as you knew you were watching the best.
One of my favourite scenes was where Jeremy was being chased by dogs, and when he headed back to the house and is sitting around the table telling them how he convinced them who he was by showing them his socks, i was in stitches laughing, brilliant scene!!

3 comments:

leila_poole said...

Bearing Witness is one of the best episodes of series Four and good choice Janet, I always have tears in my eyes when watching it. The bits when Kavanagh is in the witness box are great scenes

Lollipop said...

It's great to have a reason to make me find the time to relax and watch "Kavanagh."
I agree with Leila. The scenes of John in the witness box are superb.

Theresa said...

Hi..yes the witness box scene is one I remembered and was looking forward to seeing it again. Kavanagh of course aquitted himself well. A great story and very touching without being over-the-top.
I also loved the scenes at Peter Foxcott's country home - I should I call him 'Kitten'. And Kavanagh described as a 'bag of bones'? I don't think so! Great to see Jeremy 'have his day in court' so to speak where he put the fear of God into that arrogant security guy. Had to laugh at 'Aldermartin QC on his socks but!
Cheers
Theresa