Friday 10 October 2008

My Top Ten Kavanagh QC Stories: No 1 Blood Money

Blood Money… (First screened in the UK television on 10th March 1997, writer Matthew Hall.) When surgeon Hilary Jameson successfully operates on a computer tycoon involved in a car accident, she has every reason to suppose he'll survive.

Within a matter of minutes, however, the patient's wife learns that he is dead. What happened in that brief period? This is the problem Kavanagh must solve when he prosecutes on behalf of the widow.

As I said with the previous one I could easy have swapped them around, and maybe next time I’m asked they will be. But for now this is my number 1 choose, it’s no better than the previous one or worse, they are both for me the best, but you have to put them in some kind of order so here they are.
This again is a very emotional episode, and often has me in tears, as it makes me think of my mum who I lost through cancer, and of course John.

For me the opening scenes of the operation are a little un-nerving as I hate the sight of blood, but it’s also appropriate for the telling of the story.

The best performance in this story goes to Josette Simon who plays Hilary Jamerson, she is remarkable. I was really pleased that her character was cleared of all blame.

I thought the kiss between Sheila and John was beatifully done and very tender, nice moment.

The funniest part was the guys at the end in Peter’s room having tea, and then Helen comes in and Peter wants to tell her what everyone thinks of her. But because she’s just given Jeremy a plum job he tries to tell him that everything is fine, very funny.
I thought Sheila was fantastic as the grieving widow, the scene where she plays Sarah at home after hearing the news and breakdown, is really powerful and very emotional.

I also love where she’s in court giving evidence, and dear old Jeremy is getting several over on Kavanagh, by getting her to tell what Kavanagh doesn’t know, very good.

But then as always Kavanagh comes back trumps with Hilary and gets down to what really happened to Sarah’s husband, much to Jeremy’s amazement.

Good to see the hospital not getting away with what they thought they would, just for the sake of funds for their centre.

2 comments:

leila_poole said...

Brilliant episode of Kavanagh. Love John and Sheila's performances throughout the epsiode. my best moment being Sheila kissing John on the cheek and saying sorry, classic!

Theresa said...

Hi I've just started rewatching this one. Plan to finish watching on weekend. Forgot how good it was. Looking forward to seeing more professional interaction between John and Sheila.
Cheers
Theresa